Monday, November 30, 2009

Backing Away from the Hot Chocolate Run?




This isn't really a story about the Turkey Bowl, but I have to start there. The Turkey Bowl takes place annually in Maplewood, New Jersey's Orcard Park where it has been a fixture since 1984. What started out as a group of high school friends getting together for a little footbal has become an institution. Turkey Bowl has deep roots and unique traditions and inspires fierce loyalty among those who continue to play year after year, long after many of the original players have moved on.

This year marked an important turning point in the Turkey Bowl's history when the game began with both adults and children taking the field. In the old, old days, none of the players had kids. In the old days, the kids were too young to really be involved, but there was a kids' game that developed. This year, the kids outnumbered the adults.

And a kid one the "Most Dominant" award. It just happened to be my kid.


But this isn't really a story about the Turkey Bowl. It's a story about this Saturday's Hot Chocolate Run. I've had the date circled on the calendar for some time now, and I've had a sign promoting the event on my lawn for weeks. I've registered myself and my children, and the weather looks positively balmy when compared to last year's 13-degree day. So what happened? In the very first play of the Turkey Bowl, I pulled something in my lower back.


Yeah, I've got a back injury. And I haven't been able to run at all since Thursday. Saturday night, I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and I couldn't walk. Not. Good.

But I'm hopeful. Last year I had such a good time running the race with my kids, and with 3000 other people, that I'm going to do what I can to get make it to the starting line. I've found that the Hot Chocolate Run is like one big party. Everyone's in a good mood and running a 5k is a great way to kick off a Saturday morning, because it can be used as an excuse for a lot of holiday indulgences the rest of the weekend. "Sure I'll have a brownie. I ran a five k today!"

I'm also going to be there because I want to see what 4000 people running through the streets of Northampton looks like. And I want to be a part of it.

Anyone know any good stretches for the lower back?

1 comment:

  1. Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to run! Anyone who is thinking of walking or running should sign up RIGHT NOW! Our registration numbers are through the roof and we are going to cap at 4500! Go to www.HotChocolateRun.com or to the runner's shop on King St. See you Saturday!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete