Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Mother in The House




With ten days to go until Christmas, it's only fitting, I guess, to think about churches.

Lately I've been getting the feeling that Santa's not the only one who sees me when I'm sleeping and when I'm awake.

It was announced recently that three of the four Roman Catholic churches in Northampton will be closed, Blessed Sacrament Church on Elm Street, and St. Mary’s of the Assumption on Elm. The fourth church, Sacred Heart on King Street, will become the headquarters of the new St. Elizabeth Ann Seton parish in Northampton.

Elizabeth Ann Seton, as everyone knows, was the first American-born saint. So it seems appropriate to name a church after her. But when I heard the news, I couldn't help but think that perhaps St. Elizabeth Ann Seton is stalking me.

Let me explain. I graduated from Seton Hall University, as did my two sisters and one of my brothers. My mother worked there for years. My wife's mother also worked at Seton Hall for years. My father-in-law got his master's degree from Seton Hall. I also got a master's degree from Seton Hall. Oh, and my wife and I were married in the chapel at Seton Hall, the same place my older son was baptized.

My wife spent much of her childhood in New Hampshire. She lived in a house on Seton Drive.

Oh, and did I mention that every year, Seton Hall sends me requests for money? I mean, spooky, right?

And now Mother Seton has come to Northampton.

No comments:

Post a Comment