Thursday, October 8, 2009

Snarl

The English language has over a million words in it, and new words are being added all the time. English has more words in it than the total number of words in French and German combined. I like the fact that While the sheer volume of words might make it difficult for those studying for spelling bees or the SATs, it also means that you can usually find the right word to precisely define something. Or, alternatively, something happens that causes you realize immediately what a word really means. Today someone snarled at me, the first time I think that's happened, and I instantly said to myself, "Now THAT'S a snarl."

I was running towards Northampton on the bike path when I crossed Hatfield Street. As I approached the intersection, I looked right and saw no cars coming. I looked left and noticed a light-colored Subaru Forester heading in my direction, but the car was far enough away that I could safely enter the crosswalk. Yes, I knew the car would have to slow down a bit, but it wouldn't be a big deal. I mean, that's what crosswalks are for, right? So I held up my hand in appreciation/acknowledgment and headed across the street.

Then I noticed that the Forester wasn't slowing down. I looked up at the driver and saw his angry face and his middle finger. I've recreated the scene below.



I should note that the driver of the Forester was not wearing a tie. Nor was he as good-looking as I am. And I don't think that I quite captured the essence of his snarl. But when I looked up and saw that, all I could do was laugh; obviously, this guy has some issues. Anyone ever hear of the word rageholic?

3 comments:

  1. Was it a Silver Subaru Forrester, Shelf?

    Could have been me.

    Did I scream something like "this isn't San Francisco you Jersey blankety-blank!"

    Glad you didn't get slammed to the tarmac!

    --towns

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if you've never enjoyed a tall glass of rageahol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crosswalks in New Jersey are simply herding devices so drivers can run over more than one pedi at a time.

    ReplyDelete