Thursday, June 11, 2009

What Would Mr. Pink Do?

In Quentin Taratino's movie Reservoir Dogs, one of the erstwhile (love that word!) jewelry store thieves, objects to putting money in to cover the tip for a waitress. He objects on moral grounds, and won't do it, he says, just because society says he should. The other thieves try to convince him that he's wrong, but he remains firm in his convictions, until the boss makes him throw in his dollar.

Lately I find I have this scene running through my head whenever I think about the upcoming override campaign.

As the override campaign heads towards a conclusion, one way or the other, on June 16th, six days from today, the tension in the air is becoming more palpable. At least it seems that way to me, maybe because I'm too close to the Vote Yes campaign.

I've spent time over the past few weeks calling people to ask which way they're going to vote and get the word out about what's at stake in next week's vote. I've also attended City Council meetings and watched them on television, as well as other forums held throughout the city. I can attest to the fact that there's a lot of anger out there. There's so much anger out there that I've even heard people criticize the Vote Yes side for how their lawn signs look, that they look too happy.

But I've also noticed that a lot of the anger seems to be based not on the override per se, but on other things: the poor economy, dislike of the Mayor and her policies, the BID, the landfill, pretty signs. And what people are doing is sharpening their pencils (I know you don't use pencils, but you get the picture) in anticipation of voting no for the override because the override vote is simply something they can say no to.

This is what one poster had to say in Masslive's Northampton forum:

In the midst of a historic economic downturn, we are facing unprecedented increases in our burden of taxes, fees, and tolls over which we have zero control: Sales tax, gas tax, meals tax, hotel tax, alcohol tax, turnpike tolls, professional license fees, water and sewer taxes, trash fees. We've had to swallow all of these because they are beyond our control. But, thanks to Prop 2 1/2, we citizens do have control over our property tax. Enough is enough. Don't miss this opportunity to say NO, not now, it's just too much at the worst time imaginable for people struggling to make ends meet, feed their kids, avoid foreclosure, and hang onto their jobs. Vote NO Override June 16.


An unfortunate side effect of this thinking is that people begin to think ill of those who hold opposing views. Of course, this isn't a local issue, but a national one that has become worse over time, when debate has been boiled down to bumper stickers and shouting television and radio commentators and giving ground in a discussion is seen as weakness.

When I drive around town and see those Vote No signs, I can't help but notice that they don't have a date on them, that they seem to be always ready for action so that no matter what the issue is, the answer is the same: NO.

I know I shouldn't think that way, and I hope that my awareness of the flaws in my thinking are at least a step in the right direction.

But if I can take one thing away from this election, it's that this vote isn't about winning and losing, it's about people caring enough about their community to enter the debate. And that has to be a good thing, right? Even if I think that Mr. Pink would vote No?

No comments:

Post a Comment