Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Very Special Day

I got back from the Y this morning and found my six-year-old on my computer. When he saw me, he told me that it was a very special day. I asked him why it was a special day and he pointed to the date on the computer screen. "It's six sixteen. It's Vote Yes Day," he said.

And here I thought lawn signs weren't that effective.

So, after I showered and had breakfast, I took him to the polls to vote with me. While there wasn't as big a crowd at my polling place as there was in November, I could still sense electricity in the air, a combination of tension, excitement, and uncertainty about the final outcome.

Once inside, we reviewed our ballot carefully.



We confirmed that we wanted to vote YES and connected the appropriate arrows. Then we went and checked out. The poll workers were kind enough to ask for Owen's name as well as mine. The only disappointment in the whole process was that they weren't giving out "I Voted" stickers at this election.

As we drove away from Smith Voke, I saw two sign holders, one holding a YES sign and one holding a no sign, having an animated discussion in the designated sign holders section. It struck me as somewhat inappropriate, because chances are that the person you're arguing with (it did look like an argument), who's holding a sign and all, has already voted and you're probably not going to change their mind. I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come today.

No comments:

Post a Comment