Monday, February 7, 2011

Nerdy Winter Maintenance



Before I started running a lot, I used to wonder what people thought about when they ran long distances. I mentioned this to a friend of mine whose parents were marathoners, and he looked at like I was stupid and said dismissively, "What don't you think about?"

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was engaging in what passes for marathons these days, shoveling ice and snow from my driveway, when I became aware of exactly what I think about when I'm doing this chore.  At the risk of forever identifying me as a nerd, here's what it is: I think about Moby Dick, specifically chapter 67, "Cutting In," where Melville describes the process of butchering a whale.  Something about chopping the ice with that ice chopping tool.

"Now as the blubber envelopes the whale precisely as the rind does an orange, so is it stripped off from the body precisely as an orange is sometimes stripped by spiralizing it. For the strain constantly kept up by the windlass continually keeps the whale rolling over and over in the water, and as the blubber in one strip uniformly peels off along the line called the 'scarf,' simultaneously cut by the spades of Starbuck and Stubb, the mates; and just as fast as it is thus peeled off, and indeed by that very act itself, it is all the time being hoisted higher and higher aloft till its upper end grazes the main-top; the men at the windlass then cease heaving..."

No comments:

Post a Comment