Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fitness Room TV Rage

It's winter.  There's a lot of snow on the ground, and there's more to come.  I can't run outside because I don't want to risk hitting an icy spot.  Plus, my younger son is playing in the Hampshire Regional Y's basketball league this year, which means practice during the week and games on Saturday. As a result of all of this winter horror, I find myself spending a lot more time working out at the Y these days.   

I'm not complaining.  I've got to do something to stave off cabin fever, and the Y is just as good a place as any, I guess.   But it recently occurred to me that when you exchange the freedom of exercising outside for the warm confines of the Y, you're also giving up a tiny part of yourself to an institution.  The Y may be family friendly and all, but it's an institution nonetheless, with its own quirky rules, both written and unwritten.  And my God, have you seen some of those classes?  The way the instructor gets everyone doing the same thing at the same time? 

So take a hard winter and an institutional, soul-crushing mindset and you've got a recipe for trouble.  The discontent bubbles to the surface most notably in the cardio room, where members sweat as they manipulate various machines in front of a bank of flat screen televisions.  Everything will look hunky-dory until Channel Changing Time comes.  The staff working the cardio room are slaves to these blue binders that apparently outline in minute detail what channels should be showing what shows, when.  The idea, I suppose, is to remove the personal preference for a set of rules.  (If that's not institutional, I don't know what is.)

Of course, the problem with these institutional rules is that they don't take into account the human element.  If the rules say change the channel from X to Y at Z time, the rules don't take consider either what might be on, or what people might want to watch.  This is why lately I've found myself being entertained by infomercials for weight loss programs and The 700 Club.

I like to think that the anger from watching these shows makes me workout harder.

But I don't know how much longer I can keep it up.

That damn groundhog better not see his shadow tomorrow.   

No comments:

Post a Comment