Thursday, February 5, 2009

Good News for News?

I'm an avid reader of the Gazette. I like the way it covers local news, though the business model (a pay website?) and frequent errors, grammatical and typographical, drive me nuts. But deep down, I root for the Gazette--and all newspapers--because I think there's something really special about the physical activity of reading a newspaper. Of course, I have noticed the bucket loads of bad news that have been hovering around the newspaper industry lately, and lately I've found myself thinking about what a post-newspaper world will look like.

Okay, I haven't really done that last part.

But amid all the doom-and-gloom predictions for the end of the newspaper as we know it, I came across a bit of good news. Last weekend, my family and I were in a car accident at the intersection of Prospect and Jackson Streets. We were all fine, but the car has seen better days.

At any rate, there was an item about the accident in the paper on Monday. Since then, many people have asked if we're okay; they've all said that they read about the accident in the paper.

I appreciate their concern, as it really makes me appreciate living in a town where people look out for each other. And I don't know if they're paying customers or not, but it shows that they're reading the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment