Friday, February 27, 2009

Camping

As a parent, I've learned that young kids have really got a lot to learn. I realize that I'm an educated adult, but I don't think that it really takes that much intelligence to realize that camping in February is not the greatest idea in the world.

This whole idea started when my six-year-old, who is in kindergarten and therefore has not had the benefit of a lot of formal education, told me what we--yes, WE--we were going camping with some of his friends and their fathers. I'm sure that in his mind, camping conjures up images of s'mores by the fire, no baths, and a lot of running around. In other words, life at home, but with fire added. I, of course, thought immediately about the last time I took my kids camping and how my feet were freezing in our flimsy tent.

But I didn't immediately dismiss the idea. This was way back in January, after all, and I figured that the idea would fade away. But it didn't. And now the weekend is here. Tonight I'll pack the car and tomorrow we'll head north--NORTH! Where it's colder!--to camp overnight at Merck Forest and Farmland Center.

It won't be so bad; I know I'll have fun. But I'm worried that someone will get cold and that I'll forget something crucial. I also don't know how much beer to bring with me. I have to factor in the distance between the car and the cabin and how we'll be able to haul the beer, and the fact that I'm camping with relative strangers. If I bring too much beer, I'm the alcoholic dad. If I bring too little, everyone will be unhappy.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment