Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Contrasts and Plastic

I went to Thorne's on Saturday, just to do some window shopping. I took stock of the names of some of the stores and businesses in Thorne's, noting particularly the images each name brings to mind. Yoga Sanctuary and Impish and Glimpse of Tibet bring to mind images of peace and calm and acceptance. Cedar Chest and Petals in Bloom remind me of grandma's house and fields of wildflowers on a warm summer's day.

And then I was riding my bike the other day in Florence and rode past this new sign on the big factory building on Nonotuck.


I suppose I should be applauding Chemiplastica for not hiding behind a cuter name like, oh, Chempanzee or Giraffica, but I have to question a name that shouts out two terms that are the antithesis of the feel good, life-affirming, organic businesses that populate other areas of Northampton and presumably appeal to a significant portion of the population.

But then I did a little digging and found out what Chemiplastica does. As stated on their website, "Chemiplastica has more than 70 years experience with thermosets, particularly urea and melamine molding compounds. These compounds are used to manufacture beautiful and functional plastics, from stylish dinnerware and household accessories to precision medical parts and electrical switches, junction boxes and insulation materials."

One word in that description brought me back to my 9th grade biology class: urea. I learned about urea when we analyzed urine. Urea is found in urine.

So I suppose, on reflection, Chemiplastica did the best with what they had to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment