Sunday, July 19, 2009

Men In Skirts Invade Local Park

First, let me apologize, because if I were a more dedicated blogger (or a less dedicated runner, I suppose) I would have pictures. But I don't.

You see, usually my Saturday morning runs through Look Park are pretty calm affairs: I can enjoy the scenery and the quiet and be interrupted only be the occasional hello from a dog walker. Not this morning.

Yesterday during my morning run through Look Park I had to dodge a long line of cars driving to park on the big field and at least a dozen bagpipers warming up on their instruments. I had run into the Glasgow Lands Highlands Festival, which has become an annual event in Northampton.

I discovered two significant things on this run. First, because I was there early and saw the pipers preparing, I now know what these pipers wear under their kilts.

Second, I learned that the mist that sometimes surrounds the pipers on these early mornings is not always fog and is not always naturally occurring. Let me put it this way: it could be caused by what puts the "high" in highlands. At least for that one guy I ran past.

Morning runs: good for body and brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment