Saturday, March 7, 2009

Daylight Saving Time


I've heard all over the place that we have to set our clocks ahead tonight and that we will be losing an hour of sleep, all due to Daylight Saving Time (please note the absence of the "s" in Saving; the word isn't supposed to be plural).

The first thing that I want to point out is that this is one of the happiest times of the year, as far as I'm concerned. We may have gotten eight inches of snow just a few days ago, and we may have endured sub-zero temperatures just the other night, but moving the clocks ahead marks an official acknowledgment that we've got winter on the run. Any snow or cold we get from here on out is just the impotent bluster of a bully who knows that his reign of terror is over.

The second thing I want to point out is that we don't automatically lose an hour of sleep because of Daylight Saving. We set the clock ahead on a Saturday night, after all, and most of us don't have to work on Sunday. Just because the clocks change, it doesn't mean that we can't sleep in. I'm sick of hearing about the whole lost hour of sleep thing; it's just not true.

Now, who's available to take my kids to Sunday School tomorrow morning so that I can sleep in?

No comments:

Post a Comment